Monday, April 27, 2015

Volunteering in a foreign land.

March 9, 2015

Sometimes we find far more than we're looking for, and sometimes we find so much when were not even looking.
I know that life gives me exactly what I need most to live and grow.
Ask for a flower and sometimes you get a garden.
Thank you world! Hard work and perseverance pays off!
Volunteering in Hawaii not only gave me a sense of purpose, places to go and things to do, but allowed me to meet really great people that want to be a part of making the world a better place.  I love the people in Hawaii and how open they are, but from a whole perspective, I wonder if the cultural ways are actually sustainable.  I volunteer because I want to make an imprint everywhere I go, but in Hawaii, I really feel that people come to leave something behind, to let go of worry and indulge.  I have a problem with indulgence, because it is what we desire and it can be wasteful, unsatisfactory, unhealthy and unsustainable.
Well, we all have our moments where we allow ourselves to indulge in something- there's no denying that, but I feel it's imperative that we make an effort to live symbiotically with the environment, surroundings and community.  Our relationships with people are just as important as our relationships with the land, and our communities, everyone just prioritizes differently.
I'm in this picture with South Maui Volunteers! I'm doing the Shaka sign (which is 'hang loose') and beside me is a new friend I made who offered to take me kayaking, lend me a bike and more!  One day we put together a nice bench on the beach.  This time we cut back the naupaka (a native hawaiian plant) as it unfortunately tends to take over sandy areas. It's a very neat plant though

 

No comments:

Post a Comment