Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A weekend of winding down

Sometimes doing little helps accomplish more.  Rarely, but sometimes...

This weekend, I went back to le Camp des Pines where Sylvain lives, on the Cox family trap line.  Josie's Cabin is around there too, and it's near Radisson.  It really makes a difference when you have no electricity, running water and your place is more remote, or 'in the woods', as Sylvain would say (dans le bois).  Sure it's a little more inconvenient, but life just has a whole new meaning when you go back to the basics. 

Saturday, I went up with Emily, Josie Cox's wife and their kids Youdin and Seeguin.  It was really nice being able to get out there with her because I feel like she's one of those people I can really trust, and the whole Cox family (from what I've experienced- Josie, Janie, William, all teachers at the school) They're the kind of people that will go well out of their way to help you out.

I slept in the cabin with the Katimavik group, but Saturday night I was in bed by 9:00 since I felt a cold coming on and honestly I was just drained.  Friday night I tried napping unsuccessfully twice and ended up in bed at 1 AM too.  I had a dream that I was punched in the face by a teenager at the school and I woke up with a swollen eye.  I figured it was from black fly bites from the evening before but holy moly, I could barely even see!  Thankfully, I got out for my morning walk but I tried reading and writing and I just felt way too stuffy to even do that much! Sunday was also really rainy and I could just feel a whole lot of emotions I didn't quite understand, so I went off to write and ended up talking to a volunteer for about an hour and a half (or longer, I don't really know.)  It was Talia, actually. The same girl that recited poetry at the talent show.  Awesome girl! It was really nice because I let go of a lot of emotions and was able to better process it all in the clear air.  I was so thankful Talia was there for me too. 

The rest of the day was pretty blah since it was raining and I was feeling ill, until the evening when the rain stopped for a bit and I asked a few volunteers if they wanted to go for a walk.  Next I new, more than half the group came along!  I started singing some Joni Mitchell, then we kept singing song to song and we really had a blast.  It almost felt like I was a camp counselor again, except they weren't kids I had to look after,  but I still feel like I have to be an example too, of course.  It's just so much more laid back since we're the same age.  I also want to push them a little when I can though.  Monday, Chris drove the van somewhere to help Sylvain with something and everyone hopped in.  On the way back, I said "come on, lazy bums!  Walk!"  Sure enough, those of us that walked had more fun than the rest!  Monday was a sunny day and I felt so much better than before- mentally and physically!  I was even doing some cartwheels!  haha!  We also did some tree planting!  I sort of wish I'd gone off on my own for a little longer to do some berry picking or mushroom hunting, but I'm sure I'll be back soon! :) 

In short, it was a super weekend I really enjoyed, and I have a feeling I'll be spending more of my time outdoors since, Fri Lufts Liv (Free Open Air Life) is, after all, what I want to incorporate in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment