Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Beautiful Chisasibi

So much goes on in Katimavik, it's crazy! 

Especially in Chisasibi!

The big thing today is JOB PLACEMENTS!  This morning, we went to the MSDC (multi services day centre) so we could all do 5 minute-interviews each with all 4 job placements. Earlier, I suggested they didn't interview us if we weren't interested in the placement, but it was really nice to get to know a little bit about each of them, even if it's talking about myself for 5 minutes. I guess I'm okay with interviews now because I've had my fair share of them, but also, I guess I don't mind talking about myself a little!  I wasn't nervous until the very last one- then my neck went all blotchy and the whole group commented when I got back to the room (it was rather embarrassing actually, I might've hidden my face a little, but Olivia lent me her scarf :)

I got the job I wanted!  I'll be shadowing a teacher in the elementary portion of the school.  It'll be a really neat experience since the school is such a happenin' place, being K-12 and they seem so positive, and I love the principal, she's hilarious! 

So we just got a visitor in our home, providing us with some DELICIOUS LOOKING FOOD (I think we'll share it later). "People do that here?" I said. Honestly, I've never felt so welcome anywhere else! (Not even at home sometimes!  But it's okay Mom, I still love you very, very much and I'll come home someday sometime...) This very gracious man invited us to his home on Saturday to watch a movie (which happens to be Brooke's birthday, and she suggested we watch a movie/ do something special for her 19th!) Gosh, we couldn't possibly be any luckier!  Life doesn't get any better...

Also, we walked to the gift shop today.  We didn't see as much local art there as we might have liked (most of us want to buy moccasins, slippers, pretty much anything that was made here)  But it's not a craft shop, so  it didn't really matter that much.  I took a gross amount of pictures of the sunset with the white frost on the trees. the whole time I kept saying "It's SOOOO pretty!" In an odd, cookie-monster voice.  On the way back, we went to the mall to get some chocolate and cochonerie (which I've learned I should be careful with that term since it has a double meaning...)  We met one woman, who asked us if we were from Katimavik, and this sweet lady just seemed sooo thrilled. She informed us that her friend (or daughter? I can't remember to be honest)  taught the last Katimavik group how to sew! I also talked to the lady in the line up who insisted we have our places in line in front of her, but we decided to go half and half. "There's a lot of us," I said, " and one of you!"  She was pretty funny, and I didn't mind asking her questions like "is agooda [I heard someone else say it] I am well."  She told it us it was more like "okay"  We've started a wall of Cree words, so I'll try to remember that one.  It's so neat to be able to learn a completely new language here! 3 months feels like it's not nearly long enough now!  It's so nice to be awknowledged and appreciated, even for work we have yet to partake in!

We also had a cree cultural workshop where two women from the Band council (which is basically they're government) came in to tell us a little bit about their culture, how things work here in Chisasibi and some of their history, which I actually really appreciated because they have had to endure a great deal through history here, and it really seems unfair.  I knew this before coming, but the government of Quebec actually, basically forced them to move from Fort George to where they are now just so they could build their dam. What I didn't know, however, (or think of for that matter) is that they actually have to pay for their hydro.  Many of the Cree people here believe that, after giving their land, it's not fair. Many refuse to pay hydro, some have just given up and others just don't care.

I hope to write more about the Cree philosophy when I know more, but the common phrase here is "it'll get done.."  People like to take their time, enjoy themselves, and family is really priority.  Thus, people here like to take their time.  Ahhhh... Perfect for me!  People that actually smell the roses and appreciate the little things!
"Remember to Live," that saying I found on the bathroom wall came to mind.
"Ohhh, remember to live, remember to give," a poem I wrote later, inspired by it.  It all applies here.

Chisasibi, you're so beautiful, how could I ever leave you?

1 comment:

  1. Hey .. i think you made a mistake. Its called Fort-George not Fort-Henry.. Anyways I am from Chisasibi and I just found out of your blog. If you want to talk some more or ask me questions, you can contact me at h_pelchat@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete