Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Jobs, jobs more jobs!

So, like I said, there's four possible placements here. Each one is an incredible experience. The only place I couldn't see myself working is the radio station just because I'm not into the music culture like I think you'd need to be in that case.  The daycare would be fun, but I'm here to explore, and I've already worked at a daycare before!  The school would be a fantastic experience because I could see if being an elementary school teacher is really what I want to do.  (that's what my mind is set on right now) Again, I'm here to explore my options though. And the MSDC (multi-services day centre) offers the opportunity to work with people with special needs, elderly who need care (group care, through activities) and I'd work with people with mental illnesses. I don't believe there are too many places like the MSDC in Ontario (or any for that matter.)   There are times that some things might be difficult for me, like keeping some things confidential for one. I like sharing.  If it's someone else's secrets, though, I'm sure I could make do. It's a slow-paced environment and very laid-back, which I think I might like.
The school on the other hand is very gogogo.  It's K-12 and they're pretty open- they'll put you either in the library or basically anywhere you want to go, from the communications technology and cooking room, to Kindergarten, to Elementary or if you really want (but they doubt you do) the high school. It's a very central part to the community too since it's the only school in Chisasibi.  I was amazed of how high the energy was too!  The principal seemed to know all the students quite well, and have a positive relationship with all the ones we saw.  The teachers all seemed to want to be there too. 'There must be something we like up here if we choose to be so secluded,' she said.  (That's not an exact quote)

Anyway, my new friends are outside waiting for me, so I'm going to go outside and play! :)

2 comments:

  1. WHAT!? One of the options is a Radio Station? The only reason I didn't continue with Katimavik is because I didn't want to put my career on hold. So incredibly jealous.

    I'm glad you're having a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah man, it's actually pretty stellar! They even said if anyone else would like to give 'er a try, they're welcome to come out to the station too! Seriously, they're so excited to have us in town!
    And apparently katimavik in general is a huge help here which is super nice!

    ReplyDelete