Monday, January 17, 2011

Hilarious but heartwarming

A whole lot has happened since I last blogged, and I'd really love to keep to my daily routine of blogging, but our free time is limited now that we have work and we're starting to plan more activities.

My second day of work was a lot more fun, since I was I got to work with the gym teacher.  I got to work with a wider range of ages, which brought me closer to the conclusion that I'm pretty sure I can work with kids of any age.  I prefer to work with tweens mostly (8-11 I guess) since I can joke around with them, but they're so innocent, imaginative and best of all, if you listen, they'll respect you. There are perks for every age though.  Especially since the younger ones are so sweet and innocent, enthusiastic and energetic.  "I have more hope that the next generation will be better," the gym teacher said.  He said that after I asked what his favourite age to work with was. He told me that he didn't have a specific preference, but once kids reach grade 6 and 7 (Secondaire I in Quebec,) they start becoming more apathetic, rebellious and sometimes disrespectful and they do things like spitting sunflower seeds in the gym. Not all of them, of course, but there are always a few. Right now, by the way, there is one school for K-12 They're working on building another school though.

Okay, so I thought I'd add this to make things a little more interesting (just to interrupt the train of thought).  We are all a little overtired and one of us is a little emotional and I think Chris might stop breathing because Francois is trying to comfort her and he said "can I do something?... I can do so much things..."  then he started talking about collages, " I can make you a collage," he said.  I love it here.  Goodness I love these people... Noone can cry without laughing right after. "Seriously, if there's something I can do, I will do it," says Francois.  We're never really alone here, and we're so supportive of each other.

Hilarious, but heartwarming.

Friday night, we were invited to a school dance, Saturday night we were invited to a neighbour's house for dinner and a movie and Sunday night we were invited to play soccer at the school. WELCOME TO CHISASIBI.  We certainly feel welcome here!  It's wonderful, people are actually really interested to meet us! I didn't go to the dance on Friday because I wanted to get some homework done.  Saturday, I woke up early to make a cake for Brooke since it was her 19th birthday, which we celebrated at our friend Jean's house.  It was so fantastic to be able to do something different, meet people in the community and actually have a few extra dollars to buy food we'll enjoy for the next week. 

Today, I was supposed to go to the Cree culture camp!  Unfortunately, the teacher that was supposed to go called in the morning and told the Vice Principal that he had a meeting in Montreal for something.  The Vice Principal thought maybe he could work it out, so we waited in the front foyer for a while,  only to find out that they weren't going after all.  Instead, I made a beaded bracelet all day with a few girls aged 12-13 years old, which was really alright for me!  I had fun with my Bieber-loving (maybe even obsessed) friends, even went out for recess with them, which was fun.  The school atmosphere is really relaxed, "it'll get done," is the attitude, it's a huge contrast to the schooling I had back at home in a school of about 2000 people. 

And now, I am exhausted!  This blog took me forever to complete because, it seems I'm a little loopy because I am giggling at everything people are saying and veering off my train of thought mid-sentences. (That's not that abnormal for me, but I think I'm becoming beady-eyed right now...)

Bed time! at 12 :S

No comments:

Post a Comment