Friday, January 7, 2011

A great many tears shed

Even in three days, this experience is just, it's so much more than I could ever dream of.  My biggest fear, having issues with a group dynamic or having conflicting personalities with people, has quickly disappeared.  Any of my sheepishness and insecurities, here, they have melted away.  Our group energy is so positive, and it makes me so happy to feel this comfort with these people so quickly, so I couldn't be any more appreciative since I have been in the situation where I had a great opportunity and a negative group dynamic ruined a lot of the experience.  I'm sure there will be times where I don't feel so hot about some people, but I think, generally, we are all very considerate people and will work very well together.

 I also saw the Northern Lights. Cried.  'nuff said.
It was only the tip of the iceberg too. It was just plain incredible.

haha, we're talking about piercings right now, laughing, as usual.  I don't think anyone here feels left out either.  Except for our frenchies who might not understand everything sometimes, but there's a lot of translating between us, and I really think we're learning a lot!  I honestly never realized how much we could learn from living in groups.  I never thought I'd actually love it!  For example, who would think they'd learn that jam and ham sandwiches actually taste good? 
Someone noticed my yoga poster in the basement too!  Since everyone is open to try everything here, when a few people expressed interest, I brought the poster up and started some piercings, then nearly half of us started trying some poses, the rest watching.  
I haven't even mentioned the three times I got to go outside today!  Walking with 5 dogs following, meanwhile playing fetch with snowballs, making snow angels on my own, running around like a fool with the rest of my the group, tripping in the snow, followed by a show of the most glorious thing I have ever experienced in my life. I actually cried at the sight of the Northern lights.  While we were outside, a man actually came to speak to us, and he mentioned a part of their history which shook us quite a bit once we learned more.  Some of the  realities we were presented with about this community, and native communities in general were pretty hard to take, but I'm not here to be coddled like we were in high school.  What was even more surprising was that he brought it up in the first place, becausewe've been told  that most people here don't really talk about it.  This man was pretty funny and I'm really glad we ran into him- it made the day feel more complete, having a tiny taste of the Chisasibi culture from someone who lives it.  While we were outside, one man even yelled out the window of his van "Welcome to Chisasibi!"
(it's actually pronounced Chi-Saa-See-Bee (emphasis on the "sa" unlike how I was pronouncing it prior to my arrival)  

I'm at a loss for words today. I've already learned so much and I can't even imagine what this beautiful community, incredible group of people and amazing program will bring.  

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't miss anyone from home (maybe just chocolate.) Also, if you'd like to send me something, well, just don't bother until I'm in Manitoba. Haha, it'll probably take two months since it's so isolated here... so email me :)  Or suggest a Skype date! (Or at least express interest and I'll message you back with a possible time.)  I have 4 "slots" of free time a week, so I'll try to spend it wisely (especially since I still have two projects :S)

No comments:

Post a Comment