Thursday, January 13, 2011

First Day of Work

So, today was my first day at the James Bay Eeyou School!  It's really neat to see how different everything really is here, even in Quebec in general!  For example, students are provided with water that is available at all times, and every students gets milk between their arrival and lunch time.  I believe this is unique to Chisasibi, but at lunch time, most students walk home or have lunch elsewhere.  
I also just got paid. $21 for the week... the fact that I get paid for this is just, unbelievable. But fantastic. Really fantastic.
The day was alright. It was a little confusing at moments, but it's a really laid-back atmosphere among the people which I really like.  The students are so sweet, it's so nice to see the kids actually open doors for you and smile so often.  One little girl that I spoke to briefly after lunch walked past me, putting her hand in my pocket. I didn't really react because I knew she didnt take anything (she was too obvious, she didnt run and there was nothing in her hand.)  So I just thought she was being silly with me.  Later, I put my hand in my pocket and I found some bubblegum.  She might as well have painted a smile on my face.  No joker smile though,  a sincere one.

I was amazed to see that the kids really respect their teacher and they actually respected me.  A few boys were hitting each other with library books, I told them to stop and they actually did.  Mind you, I'm not sure what I would've done had they not listened.  At camp (in Ontario), I really felt like I had to work hard towards earning their respect before they listened, but here, a friendly smile and hello might suffice. Not in all cases, of course.  Each class, each individual is a different case though, depending on the upbringing.  

 I'm not sure I really want to work in the Grade 4 French Immersion class though.  I think now is my real opportunity to try to pick up a new language, one that I will feel original for knowing. Sure, it might be useless when I go home, and I'll likely forget most of the words I learn, but I'll feel a whole lot closer to the people here if I can learn some of their language.  Chumuasco, beautiful, I remember.  I learned that one from one of my new friends next door.  She said it when I put a friendship bracelet on her wrist.  A child that truly appreciates being given something.

I don't think I'll ever get over how incredible this opportunity really, truly is.  Even if there are times where I'll miss this and that, after a week, I think I've already fallen in love.  
In love with these people, the place, the neighbourhood, COMMUNITY.

1 comment:

  1. I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE HAVING FUN WITH THIS!
    Hope everything will continue to amaze you and that you keep doing awesome things!
    Love you!@#$% <3

    ReplyDelete