Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy Times

So much happens in one day, and by the end of the day I'm so tired, that I honestly, forget about what to write.  Throughout the day, I think about what I might write and by the end, it just slips my mind!

Yesterday was a really laid-back day.  We learned about the 8 Katimavik competencies, which have to be considered in every activity we do (they're along the lines of the list I wrote earlier), learned more about our role as "house manager", which I'm sure I'll write about in 3 weeks when I am a house manager myself.  We've also gotten a little more free-time the past few days, so I submitted an article to the Guelph Mercury and I've been working on one of my projects for school.  

Today was a lot more exciting.  We got to go out and meet two out of four of the places we could be working.  The work placements are in the school, at the radio station, one of 3 daycare centres, or the multi-services day centre.  We will be interviewed by the coordinator from every placement of which we're interested in on Wednesday and we start work on Thursday.  
As much as I adore little ones, I don't think the daycare is what I want to do, only because I've already worked in a daycare with French kids for a summer, so I'd rather expand my experiences, of course! And, I'm seriously considering becoming a teacher for elementary school, so an opportunity like this could help me decide whether or not that's my 'thing'.  I would really like to work at the Multi-Services day Centre as well, since, I feel it would be a really unique experience, I could learn a great deal about people in general and I might be able to gain a more accurate perspective about mental health and judging others in general. The radio would be a super cool job too, I guess I'm just not interested.

I feel the need to mention, though, that one year ago tomorrow, a man I really looked up to passed away, and I think it's really important that those of you that knew him take a moment to remember him.  Dave Smith, the Captain and CO of the Red Arrows Squadron of Guelph as I knew him passed, leaving behind a daughter around my age and a son not much older.  He did so much for the air cadet program- he was one of the reasons I stayed, actually, and I think the world needs more people like him.

I was also thinking about Micheal Elrick the other day.  He comes to mind rather often, since CELP had such a huge impact on me.  My Project leader here also reminds me a little bit of him, his spirit, enthusiasm and knowledge.  Only recently did I learn that his cancer was likely caused by the cedar he cut for our nametags every semester without wearing a mask.  I still can't believe he's gone sometimes.

I don't mean to bring the mood of this blog down, but death just happens in life, so all we can do is take the time to remember them, let our tears fall, then keep them close to us in a jar and celebrate lives well lived.  

Three children came to our door today just at the right time!  It's not uncommon for them to feel comfortable just knocking on the door and asking if they can just come in and play.  There are 10 if us here to entertain, and they feel safe, which is important.  I'm honoured to be part of that though.  One girl spoke for the rest, more than any of us, and the other two sort of revealed themselves slowly as time progressed.  After we listened to one of them, we'll say Daisy, one of them (I'll name her Samantha for now) pointed at my yoga poster and said "I can do that"  So I said "lets try, I'll try it with you!"  Then she said "noooo, I'm too shy!"  Later, we were all trying various yoga poses from the bridge to tree pose to dancer, and more.  Then, we started colouring for a little while.  I drew a dog, of course, and the girls followed.  Another girl (we'll say Wanita) who is the sister of Samantha came for a while as well.  Eventually, I was the only one socializing with them, and one of them decided to draw my name on a piece of paper for me (Wanita).   Then Samantha wrote in big letters "BFF Stacey and [Daisy]" the other girl, Sally was really quiet, she didn't say much, but she started to be silly, drawing marker on her nose, making silly faces (grimace is the french word, I think it suits better.)  Daisy drew a really cute Spongebob card I promise I'm taking home that says "Welcome/Bienvenue" like the sign we made for the two of us that arrived a day later and keep in the house.  I made a little collage with the animals on the wall in the dining room and brought the art the girls made for me down to my room to put up by my bed (along with the family photos I brought with me)  


I'm really looking forward to starting my job now.  I can see that there will certainly be a great deal of challenges, since there is such a huge cultural difference between myself and the fine people of Chisasibi, but also the fact that they all speak Cree and I can speak anything but. (well, French and English, for that matter.)  But I hope to learn a little Cree.  We have labels in English and French on various items throughout the house, and I'd really like to try to get those labeled in Cree as well!  I think it's manageable- we have the alphabet posted so we can figure things out, people that are so warm (makes me think of the word chaleureux I learned when I was in Quebec on an exchange a few years ago.  The sound of it alone, just feels more descriptive to me.) 

Our PLO (project leader officer) so our leader's boss, left us today :( Denis (that's a French Denis, not Dennis) left on a good note, leaving us with various of his habitable quotes such as "Guys, I'm just sayin'..." (with his hands in front of him, elbows closer to the torso and the side look.) I don't know how to describe him other than what I mentioned earlier that he said "I'm like a shooting star" well, I guess we better make our wishes. Honestly, I have no wishes for myself right now. Things can't get much better at this point. Except if Denis could stay.  Couldn't this meteorite just land in our backyard so we could gawk for a little longer before some museum curator takes it away? No? okay, well then I guess the shooting star is in our memories then.

Something really nice that I'd like to add here, is how much I really love the people I'm living with here.  Of course, I'm not one to let things bring me down generally, I just cry, then I go on with my day.  But a friend saw me cry (this was about Mr. Smith, thinking, what if that were my dad), asked me if I was okay and sat down with me for a while. Generally, I don't want people in my space in those situations (so I go off on my own) but he actually made me feel so much better with a combination of laughter, advice and opening up about his recent difficulties.  A few more were around, but not too close to laugh along and honestly, I don't think the situation could have been any better than that.  I would have been able to carry on just as well if no one came to see me, but I wouldn't feel nearly as supported now if they hadn't done so.  We really do,  honestly, already have a family (or something like it) here and I feel so blessed. I'm not religious, but it's like God stuck his huge hand through the clouds, put it in front of me to step onto and put me on one of those clouds to see from a bird's eye view how good I really have it here.  










No comments:

Post a Comment